Sunday, June 3, 2012

A Curious Pinot Gris

1147. 2009 Salt Spring Vineyards Pinot Gris (Wine Islands - BC)

I'm not entirely sure of this wine's pedigree - not taste-wise - rather its pedigree in terms of what the heck went into it. I see that Salt Spring's website doesn't refer to a current vintage of Pinot Gris being for sale. I'm not sure whether it's because they're simply sold out of all current stock or whether they've stopped making it because the grapes were sourced from the Okanagan and they're now only making wine from estate and local grapes. There's another possibility in that they just don't have enough Pinot Gris to make a varietal wine - because I understand their new(er) sparkling wine, Karma, is made with some Pinot Gris in the blend.

Guess I just won't know any time soon. That's a bit of a shame because this was a good representation of BC Pinot Gris - plenty of acid and citrus and stone fruit. I'll just have to follow up by visiting the winery next time we get the chance to visit Tyrant when he's hanging on the Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment