Monday, June 6, 2011

A Bona Fide Shellacking

Okay, I'll give you that both of the first two games between the Canucks and Bruins were tight. I think it's safe to say that everyone expected the same to be true when the series moved to Boston for Games 3 and 4 - particularly the way that Tim Thomas, the Boston goalie, was playing. It is, after all, the Stanley Cup Finals.

CBC Radio's local afternoon show, On The Coast with Stephen Quinn, hosted a contest to take the title of a movie, book or play and mash it up with the Canucks-Boston series. And, indeed, as a tip of the hat to Thomas' performances in goal, my entry was to take "The Importance of Being Earnest" and turn it into "The Importance of Beating Thomas." Not a winner, I'm afraid. I did get some chuckles and nods from some of my more literary friends but Boo just went "Huh?" I did like my neighbour, Baby Mama's entry, "When Henrik Met Salo," though.

It's just as well that I didn't win because the prize involved special seats to view Game 3 in the outdoor viewing zone that's been set up at CBC Plaza. Not only would we not have been able to bring along a bottle of Mission Hill, but it was one helluva stinker of a game. The Canucks lost 8-1: one of the most lopsided games in a Cup Finals series ever.

I don't know that I'd have wanted to stick around for the whole game - especially without a drink in hand!

823. 2009 Mission Hill Reserve Riesling (VQA Okanagan Valley)

I can't remember having tried a bottle of Mission Hill Riesling before. I generally have a selection of BC Rieslings on hand at any one time and Mission Hill's version hasn't made it to the annual purchase list yet. I tend to think of big reds when it comes to Mission Hill because of all the effort they put into their iconic wines - Oculus, Quatrain and Compendium (although I haven't had a bottle of the latter yet).

The Riesling was nice in that it had some striking acidity but there was still enough fruit coming through to make it easy enough to sip without food. I think it trended towards acidity rather than any residual sugar though - and I think I'm coming to the conclusion that my favourite Rieslings have to feature at least a smidgen of sweet - even if it's simply accomplished by a lighter touch of acidity on the finish.

I do know that the Riesling was still a whole lot nicer than the outcome of the game was. I'm certainly glad that we were at home for the game so that I could pour another glass to lessen the disappointment. Hopefully, the Canucks will show up for Game 4.

No comments:

Post a Comment