Sunday, August 16, 2009

Move Over Sancerre

The other week, when we had our Dinner Club with Lady Di and She Who Must Be Obeyed, I waxed poetically (well sort of) about one of the Sancerre wines that we had that night. Sancerre white wine means Sauvignon Blanc and we really liked the refined nature of the Francois Crochet.

Well, this BC fave winery has delivered a Sauvignon Blanc that makes me think I don't need to go all the way to France to find an SB that doesn't feel that it has to mimic New Zealand in its flavour profile.

152. 2007 La Frenz Sauvignon Blanc (Okanagan)

We usually think red when we drink La Frenz, but that might just change now that we can add this Sauvignon Blanc to their Riesling which is already one of our faves.

I don't think Jeff Martin can really do any wrong. Interesting guy. Great wines.

At $22 this year, it is a bit more than we'd normally pay for a mid-week white, but you could serve this to me any time. And that's almost half the price of the Sancerre that we liked so much. There's just not a lot of it to be found.

In fact, a most unfortunate note is that Boo's "No Buy Leash" was strapped on pretty tightly around my neck when La Frenz's whites were released this year. I didn't order any - like I usually would - so we don't currently have any of the 2008 in the cellar. I'm going to have to keep my eyes open for it in some of the private stores in case there's the odd bottle around. Leash be damned. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment