Thursday, October 6, 2011

A Threesome of Tangled Red Vines

From Craig's home to our's. I'd previously mentioned that I made an extra-curricular stop, during this Fall's BC Wine Appreciation Society Bus Tour, at Tangled Vines winery outside Okanagan Falls. Luckily, winemaker, Craig McKenzie, was in the house at the time and we had a nice chat while tasting his full line-up.

Craig and I were hardly best buds during university days, but he did live next door at our rival fraternity's house. So, I knew his big personality and aptitude to party. If I recall the post-university story correctly, the "three guys and a girl" that make up the winery's partners, including Craig, all worked and became friends at Vancouver's Bridges restaurant. Following a wine vacation in the Okanagan, the four made that leap of faith and purchased a boutique winery that became Tangled Vines. Since Craig had at least spent some time working in the Australian wine industry, he got the job of winemaker and vineyard manager.

Tangled Vines has now been around for five vintages. Its production, however, is still very limited and they only make about 1000 cases a year.

The estate vineyards are almost exclusively planted with white varietals; so, naturally, I picked up a red while visiting.

948. 2009 Tangled Vines 3 Reds (Okanagan Valley)

3 Reds is Tangled Vines' first red blend and the 2009 version saw a 60/20/20 blend of Merlot, Cab Sauv and Syrah. Craig was saying, though, that he might not be making a whole lot more of the 3 Reds down the road. Top notch red grapes, at reasonable prices, haven't exactly been aplenty in the Okanagan with the last couple of less-than-stellar growing seasons. As such, not having access to your own vineyard fruit can lead to unfavourable economics as you have to cover the going rate for a limited grape supply.

Guess that means I'll have to enjoy the red while it's still around.

I keep saying - and I truly hope to be able to really pull it off - that I'd love to head up to OK Falls for a weekend and give a helping hand to Craig when he needs it. I figure I'm a pretty conscientious pruner or picker. Throw in some laughs and a bottle of wine and I'm thinking it sounds pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment