Saturday, January 2, 2010

Pretty Much Gone

This will be a quick post for a couple of reasons, but primarily for the fact that either the bottle had seen better days or it was just rather unpalatable. I'm leaning towards the former.

305. 2005 Peller Estates Private Reserve Merlot (VQA Okanagan)

I don't think the wine was fully corked; however, it was well on its way to nasty. I'm pretty sure that the bottle was left behind from a party some time ago. (Whoa, I remember days when there would never have been any booze left over after a party - unless it was a half finished beer bottle that someone had forgotten or abandoned. Times do change.)

I kind of figure that the bottle was left behind by someone else because I don't remember having bought anything from Peller Estates. I buy a lot of BC wine, but they aren't a winery that tends to show up on my radar. Maybe it's because I still associate Peller with the old volume, Calona "value" wines like their bestseller Baby Duck. They've come a long way since those days (although Baby Duck still has a following), but they haven't managed to get me to cross the wine store aisle.

That is interesting fact since I do have a "jones" for Sandhill wines and Peller owns Sandhill and Sandhill's winemaker, Howard Soon, is still intimately involved with Peller itself. This is why I think this particular bottle was just off.

Perhaps I'll wipe the slate clean come the new year and give them another chance.

No comments:

Post a Comment