Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Mad Fish & A Western Riesling

It never ceases to amaze me just how much information there is out there in the wide world of wine. We've enjoyed at least a couple of MadFish wines over the years, but I now realize that I don't really know much about the winery - other than the fact that it is based in Margaret River and the Great Southern regions of Western Australia - a definite plus in my books. In looking up this wine, however, I found out that MadFish is actually one of a series of brands produced by Howard Park Wines, one of twelve wine companies forming Australia's First Families of Wine.

The main criteria of the membership is that the family-owned companies have to have a "landmark" or "iconic" wine in their portfolios. Other requirements include being able to do at least a 20-year vertical tasting, having a history of vineyards that go back more than 50 years and that best exemplify Australian terroir, and having a history of at least two generations in the wine business.

MadFish wines aren't exactly the iconic wines associated with Howard Park Wines when it came to being asked to join the First Families. The line was started in 1992 and the wines are marketed on their drinkability and their exemplification of the cool climate fruit of the Great Southern.

467. 2006 MadFish Riesling (Western Australia)

As much as I love Riesling, Aussie versions tend not to be my favourites. In general, I find that they're often too acidic and driven with citrus and mineral notes. Not so with this bottle though. There was no denying the strong hints of lime and mouth-watering acid on the palate, but it was more roundly incorporated into an overall flavour. And, for me anyhow, what's maybe a bit uncharacteristic for Aussie Riesling, this wine had a nice touch of honey or sweeter fruit.

I know I grabbed the bottle because I don't usually think of Riesling when it comes to Margaret River and environs and the thought of another goodie from out West piqued my interest. Maybe it's because this was from Western Australia and its more temperate climate but it reminded me of some of my favourite BC Rieslings and that's no small feat. I'll definitely look for more West Coast Aussie Riesling if this is indicative of what I'll taste. Yumm.

No comments:

Post a Comment