Saturday, September 5, 2009

A Bit of BC Cab

I'm going to have to play a bit of catch-up (haven't I said that a couple of times already) as I'm finding it a little tough to find the extra time for the blog. When life gets a little busy, I'm finding that I'd just as soon sit back and enjoy the drinking of the wine more than the writing about it. Funny that.

The irony of it all is that, the more I sit back and enjoy the wine, the more there is to blog about. And, gosh darn, it just seems to leave me with more of a backlog to catch up on.

I might just have to go have a glass of wine and mull it over some more.

I'll be quick about this wine since I've talked about Jackson-Triggs fairly recently and I'll definitely be talking about it more as we progress with The List.

165. 2002 Jackson-Triggs Proprietors' Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon (VQA - Okanagan)

BC Cab's aren't usually the best-stocked wines in our cellar (such as it is). The growers and winemakers are still trying to identify what areas of the Okanagan are truly going to be able to fully ripen Cab Sauv grapes. Consequently, it was a little bit of surprise to see that we still had a bottle of a 2002 vintage.

I think it's safe to say that I don't tend to reach for a BC Cab as often as I would for a blend, Merlot or even Syrah. Not when the rest of the world seems to be able to fill the shelves with seemingly endless product - often at very decent prices (if there is such a thing in BC). Our BC Cabs tend to be on the higher end of the price spectrum since there isn't an awful lot of it being grown.

Whether it's global warming or whatever, BC growers do seem to be providing more ripe Cab in recent years. Boo and I thought this bottle held up just fine - particularly since it's not J-T's premium label. We just might start seeing more appear on The List.

No comments:

Post a Comment