Saturday, January 17, 2015

Mussels & Sauv Blanc

Having added Howling Bluff's Sauv Blanc on my last post, here I am, right back adding another Sauv Blanc to The List. It might have something to do with another round of mussels on the dinner table. We do love our mussels round here.

Or, if I were to channel my inner Diana Ross, I could say, "we do love our muscles round here."

1845. 2012 La Poderosa Reserva Sauvignon Blanc (Valle Central - Chile)

I suppose I'll admit that I picked up this bottle (two of them actually) because of the striking label. I was making an all-time favourite soup that's not much more than mussels, white wine, onions, fennel and saffron. The recipe calls for almost a bottle and a half of white wine and I've just habitually gone with Sauv Blanc. As such, I wanted a reasonably priced wine and this one jumped out at me. I've started seeing La Poderosa at a number of the private wine stores. So, I figured it can't be all that bad if so many stores are stocking it.

According to the label, the story behind the name goes that, in 1952, Ernesto 'Che' Guevara ventured through the wilderness of Chile on his motorcycle - nicknamed La Poderosa or "the powerful one." I subsequently found out that the brand is produced by the well known Chilean winery Viña Luis Felipe Edwards to celebrate that ride.

As far as "cooking wine" goes, I'd say this one fit the bill nicely. I'm told you should never cook with a wine that you wouldn't want to drink on its own. While I don't think the folks in Sancerre - or even Howling Bluff - need to worry, the wine was true to the grape variety and, surprise surprise, paired well with the soup.

There just wasn't enough soup - or wine - to satisfy that craving for mussels. Guess we'll be back for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment