Saturday, July 19, 2014

The More Italians The Better

1690.  2008 Ca' Bianca - Chersi (Barbera d'Asti Superiore DOCG - Piedmont - Italy)

If you can't guess from Boo's and my waistlines, we love to eat our pastas in our household. Make that we love to eat most things Italian - particularly panzanella or bread, bocconcini, tomato and basil salads. As such, I like to stay on the lookout for lighter Italian reds since my wallet doesn't let me live on Amarone, Barolo or Brunello alone - and because I'm not the biggest fan of most of the Chiantis I've tried in our market.

Barbera is a good alternative, although I can't say that I think we have the widest selection of Barberas in our local market. This was a new one that I ran across but I can't say that it jumped out as anything special for us. It might just have been that, as a 2008, the vintage might have been a bit long in the tooth for Barbera. I generally think of Barbera as a more easy drinking, fresher red that isn't made so much for ageing - not that I know anything more than the most basic of facts about the variety and know nothing about Ca' Bianca as a producer.

Guess I'm still on the lookout. Hopefully, I'll run across another Chersi on another occasion with a more favourable outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment