Saturday, August 22, 2009

Now, That's What I Call BBQ!

One of my colleagues at work, Stacee, invited a crowd over for a treat of a BBQ that she and her family threw for us all. Considering the fact that there might have been a dozen of us in attendance, they regaled us with enough food to feed us through the weekend - and part of the next week.

As you can see by the custom made rotisserie pit, Stacee's dad and brother were cooking for a crowd. That's a whole lamb cooking away there. I love my lamb, but I don't think I'd ever be so daring as to try that. I think I should have talked to her family when Boo brought home the side of camel. They might have had an idea as to what to do with it.

As if the lamb wasn't enough, there were also marinated and grilled short ribs, salads, hors d'oeuvres, dips, cheeses and on and on. One neat aspect of the evening was that Stacee introduced us to some of the culinary aspects of her Korean heritage. There were four or five different kimchees to try with the meat, as well as some Korean side dishes, including a jellyfish salad that was very enjoyable.

Despite a bit of concern earlier in the day, the weather cooperated and it was a fine dinner al fresco in the back yard. Outdoors, BBQ, lively conversation and some good wine to sip back - what more could you ask for on a summer evening?

154. 2006 Wolf Blass Yellow Label Cabernet Sauvignon (South Australia)

I don't know about you but, when I think BBQ lamb, I think big Aussie reds. So, it was fine by me to enjoy the Wolf Blass along with the marvelous meat. Having heard many a story about Mr. Blass at Australia Wine Appreciation Society events, I think he would heartily endorse the use of his wine at such an occasion. I'm quite sure he'd be no stranger to throwing another lamb on the barbee.

I was surprised to read on the Wolf Blass website that the Yellow Label Cabernet Sauvignon/Shiraz/Malbec was the first wine to ever carry the Wolf Blass name on a label. The wine evolved into a straight varietal over the years and it is now their "most successful wine across all countries where Wolf Blass is sold."

155. 2007 See Ya Later Ranch Riesling (VQA Okanagan)

The Riesling made for a nice sipper for the weather and the other nibblies. It's not necessarily my favourite BC Riesling, nor my favourite SYL wine, but it's always fun to talk about the winery stories at gatherings with people that are fairly new to wine. Dog cemeteries and "Dear John" notes are fun conversation points.

By the time we'd worked our way through the various desserts, it had become a multi-hour event. I'm not so sure that Stacee's family had expected quite that much entertaining.

I've got to say though, the abundance of food certainly had at least one enormous benefit to our home. I'm pretty sure that I can say I've never left a party before with an entire leg of BBQ's lamb as a parting gift. Now that's a doggy bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment