Sunday, April 5, 2009

Dinner at Sanafir


I've been wanting to go to Sanafir for some time now but it remains a popular destination and we always seem to leave it too late before we try for a reservation. Boo (the significant other), the lovely and talented Elzee and I finally managed to coordinate a visit.  Love the different take on tapas - each central food item is served as a three-way.  The menu strives to highlight flavours found on the old Silk Route and the decor reminded Boo and I of our visit to the Emirates and Oman.  

Since we were tasting Mediterranean, Indian and Asian takes on calamari, lamb, pork and arctic char, there wasn't any one particular wine that was going to match all the styles.  So we didn't try to.  We just went with a wine that jumped out to me on the list.  It worked just fine.

# 8. 2005 Prunotto - Mompertone (DOC Monferrato - Italy) - a barbera/syrah blend.

I say "jumped out" because Prunotto was one of my favourite discoveries at the 2008 Vancouver Playhouse Wine Festival when Italy was the featured country.  I can't say that I've ever spent much time with Italian wines in the past - except for the fact that I've always loved the way that "Montelpuciano d'Abbruzzo" flows off the tongue when you say it.  Things changed a little bit last fall when Boo and I did the second honeymoon thing in Italy. We made sure that Prunotto, located just outside of Alba, was one of the wineries we managed to visit during our brief stint in Piedmont.

This was a shot from our tour of the winery.  Who knows if any of this will make it to the next bottle of Prunotto that we get to try.  Hopefully, there'll be plenty more to come down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment