Saturday, July 9, 2011

Front Runners BBQ

For whatever reason, I haven't been joining in with the Vancouver Front Runners and their bi-weekly runs much lately. In fact, I think it's more than fair to say that it's been years since I made regular appearances. Whether it's because I'm spending too much time sitting at the computer blogging or because I'm just getting too old, fat and lazy to make an effort (or maybe somewhere in the middle of the two), I need to put on the old shorts and runners a whole lot more and join in.

I didn't make the group run this morning, but I did join in on the gang's summer BBQ. Rozie hosted a bang-up event with an endless spread of tasty treats. I can't recall having been to a kosher BBQ before but it felt and tasted like any other BBQ I'd ever been to. I'm pretty sure that the wine I brought along wasn't kosher but I'm pretty sure it didn't matter.

861. 2006 Azul Portugal Ribatejo (D.O. Ribatejo - Portugal)

What did work out well for me is that, in my rush out the door, I hadn't realized that I grabbed a bottle that's going to help get me started on my second century of varietals - mere days after having completed the first century and my application to the Wine Century Club.

The Azul Ribatejo is a blend of the Castelão and Tricadeira grapes - both of which are common to the Ribatejo district. I couldn't find out much about Azul as a producer; however, it appears to be part of the large food and beverage producer, Saven, in Portugal. Their website for wine is currently under construction. So, I couldn't get much information from the producer itself.

The Ribatejo appellation certainly isn't the best known wine region in the country. It continues to struggle to forge an identity in wine for itself; however, it is the second largest wine region in the country. It just happens to be known as much, if not more, for horse and cattle raising - particularly animals used for riding and battling in the bullfighting ring. According to one national website, Ribatejo appellation law permits a "dizzying array of wine grape varieties."

It would appear that I'm able to start my second century of varietals by adding Castelão as #101. It's known to have robust tannins early in its life, but to mellow nicely with age into a wine featuring red fruit and spice on the palate. It is also known in some regions as Periquita. Either way, it's a new varietal for my list.

I certainly would have expected to add the Tricadeira as #102, but this varietal is also known as Tinta Amarela. And, lo and behold, a quick look shows that I'd already added it to my application due to its presence in a Six Grapes Port. I don't think I would have remembered that varietal on my own, but it makes sense since Tricadeira is largely used to blend in Port because of its rich blackberry overtones.

The two of them together worked well for the garden and BBQ setting. It was fine for sipping at the start of the event - neither too bold nor tannic - and what little was left went well with the food.

Now, I just have to get motivated and head out on a run.

One aspect of making group runs, on a regular basis, I do like, however, is the likely bonus of being able to drink a little more wine without any guilt because of all the calories I'll be burning.

No comments:

Post a Comment