Monday, July 20, 2009

Kiss of the Spider Woman

I was chatting to Beamer the other day and, as soon as I learned he'd just returned from the Okanagan with four cases of wine, I remembered that I really needed to drop by and pick up the pie plate we'd forgotten at their place last month.

I tried out my best feigned protest of "Well I suppose I could stay for one glass or so," when he suggested he open a bottle of one of his new finds. I don't think he was fooled, but he opened the bottle anyhow.

110. 2006 Black Widow Merlot Cabernet Sauvignon (Naramata Bench - Okanagan)

Although I have seen their road side entry sign driving along the highway, I can't say that I've heard or seen much of the winery. No doubt it has to do with the fact that Black Widow is a fairly new entry on the Bench, having opened its doors in 2005. Production is still small at maybe 1500 cases - totally expected for a small, single vineyard estate - making it pretty hard to find when it's any good. This is their big red, being a blend of 85% Merlot and 15% Cab, and those reds tend to go pretty quickly along the Bench.

I also didn't know that the black widow spider is quite abundant in the Southern Okanagan since they favour desert regions. I was also unaware that their venom is 15 times more potent than that of its desert neighbour the rattlesnake. Good thing the spiders are shy little gals.

At 14.9% alcohol, this is getting up there, but I don't think the potency is as venomous as its namesake. Might want to watch yourself, but you should survive. The flavours of the wine are intensified by the fact the Merlot/Cab is unfiltered at bottling.

With this as an introductory taste of the winery, I'd keep my eye out for future wines - particularly if Beamer is buying. To top the visit off, the Divine Miss M not only returned our pie pan but returned it filled with a cherry pie - with fruit also straight back from the Okanagan. Gotta love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment